CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 18, 2008

Lazy - That's Me!

Not really - but today I am totally alone in the house with the exception of baby dogs, Bodie and Chessie and I have found every excuse in the world not to do the chores I had promised to do. Hubby and son are on their way to visit my brother-in -law and will not be back until tomorrow. How great! I told myself that I would be able to get all the things that I have put off for a couple of weeks done today. Not! I have just loved being on the computer, sitting on the porch with a cup of coffee, walking in the yard, reading the book of James, talking with the Lord, closing my eyes and listening to the birds and squirrels, watching the hummingbirds, feeling the breeze, and just totally relaxing. Not very productive, but very fulfilling! There are times when I love to be alone, and yet I am never alone. When it is quiet, the Holy Spirit has many things to say to me and today it was through the book of James.

There were several truths in James that popped out at me this morning. They have been there for thousands of years, but only today spoke to me. The question "does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it?" followed by "isn't it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?" really got me to thinking. In other words - talk the talk and walk the walk. A great lesson for me! God expects me to be obedient. I can not say one thing and do another. My witness will be tarnished. I do not want that. God does not want anything to stain my witness. If I really love others as myself, then I will love the "rich" others just like the "poor" others and the "sweet" others as well as the "sour" others. It is so easy to love those who are kind to us, and just as easy to feel hard toward those are hateful to us. Lesson #1 for me this morning.

Do I want to be considered wise (Godly wisdom)? Mean-spirited wisdom is not wisdom. Saying you are wise is not wisdom. Twisting the truth to make yourself sound wise isn't wisdom. The Message says that is devilish conniving. Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and characterized by getting along with others. Real wisdom is gentle and reasonable, overflowing with mercy and blessings, not hot one day and cold the next, not two-faced. To be considered wise, I must live a holy life and get along with others. If not, my witness will be tarnished. I do not want that. Again, God does not want anything to stain my witness. Lesson #2 for me this morning.

Remember my post yesterday about people at the campground wanting their own way and that sometimes I am also guilty of that sin. Today, James expounded on that very subject. If all I want is to have my own way, I will end up an enemy of God and His way. Proverbs says that "God is a fiercely jealous lover". What he gives in love is far better that anything else I'll ever find. As James reminds me "God goes against the willful proud; God gives grace to the willing humble. I very much desire humility. To be considered humble, I must die to self. If not, my witness will be tarnished. I do not want that. God does not want anything to stain my witness. Lesson #3 for me this morning.

One of the greatest statements that I read in James was "The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with". Wow! If I want my prayers to be powerful and effective then I must be living right with God. I very much want to be a powerful Prayer Warrior; therefore God and I must be of one accord. There must be nothing between us and my witness must be untarnished. I WANT THAT. God wants a stain-free witness. Lesson #4 for me this morning.

I really learned more than 4 lessons out of James, but thought maybe the others could be another post. How good to know that when we are troubled, or down-in-the-dumps, we have His Word to lift us up. We just have to be willing to read and absorb it.

Guess I've put off the chores as long as I can. Having spent time in His Word will definitely make housework a lot more pleasant!

6 comments:

Mommyluann said...

Those are great lessons for us all Donna..thanks for sharing with us in your "alone" time.

Mommyluann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg P. said...

I'd say what you did today was VERY productive. That housework stuff can wait. You did what made you happy and what you did also made the Lord happy. What a perfect combination! Good post!

Amanda said...

"Real wisdom, God's wisdom, begins with a holy life and characterized by getting along with others"

Thanks for this post, Donna. This week I had to confess some anger and some things I said out of wrong assumptions to some very dear friends. It was scary and very difficult...but the peace that came from God by obeying His pointing on my heart was well worth it. Your statement above was from God to tell me that what I did was a wise thing...I really appreciated the encouragment. If only I could stop having to "apologize" and just keep my big mouth shut in the first place. Oh well, I guess God get's a lot of glory from my mistakes...at least something good can come from that.

Greg P. said...

Hi Donna:

I just got your comment on my blog about you feeling down. I hope everything is alright. Are you OK healthwise? I'll be praying for you.

azawakh place said...

hi Donna...thank you for visiting my blog and for the nice comments. We share a love for the mountains...I was born and raised in NE GA...and my favorite place on earth is Banner Elk NC, where my great uncle Bynum had a farm. The mountains here in NM are very different...they are beautiful but lack the mystery and serenity of "our" mountains. Have a good one, Daoud