CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 27, 2008

It's Been An Interesting 20 Days!

I feel like this has been the longest yet the shortest month I have ever spent! Many of you know that hubby's son and granddaughter have been here visiting from Japan. Wow! What a change in our lives! I did not realize how set in my ways I really am. Having a teenager in the house certainly showed us that we are out in "grandparent space" and didn't even know it. As small children grow, parents are eased into the teenage era. The Lord equips you by slowly easing you into the teen years. With periodic visits, you get the "just jump right on in" cold water shock! Hubby and I learned soon on in the visit that times have changed!

Even though I have teenage grandchildren, living 24/7 with a 17 year old is a different set of circumstances. I have become knowledgeable about text messaging, power drinks, hair straighteners, ipods, American Eagle, Abercrombie & Fitch, Pac Sun, baggy shorts, tank tops, BIG sunglasses, LITTLE sunglasses, no pocketbooks (pocketbooks are a sign of insecurity), flip flops, flip flops, flip flops, oh yes, did I mention test messaging? Did you know that teenagers thumbs are not only flexible but fast? They also know an entirely different language - one that has one letter words like r for are and u for you. Amazing!

In these twenty days I have again come to realize that time is passing very quickly. It seems like just a few days ago that the same issues that we dealt with as parents, our children are dealing with today in regard to our grandchildren. How any parent can deal with their children without the help of the Lord, I do not know. Over the past couple of weeks, we have had several family get togethers. I hope to be able to post some of the pictures we took (when bethanne gets back from her whirlwind vacation) so you can see what an absolutely wonderful family I have!

Last week, when the house became too crowded and noisy, I went to the camper at the mountain by myself to spend a couple of nights (actually, just one). I loved reading, studying and spending time with dogs, Bodie and Chessy. The campground does not really begin to fill up until the later part of the week. This was on a Tuesday, so we were by ourselves on our circle of the mountain. There is no TV reception and most of the time no cell phone coverage so when I say quiet, I mean quiet - a perfect time for me to be very still and listen. I am afraid with all the busyness going on here at the house, I have not been as faithful to read and study and listen - especially listen to what the Holy Spirit has to say to me. Not good. When I neglect my time alone with Him, I do not deal well with every day circumstances. A lesson learned a long time ago and how easily I forget!

My heart is sort-of sad today. My bethanne, her hubs, Lake and Kaden are on their way to Disney. I'm not sad because they are getting to go, but I am sad that they will be so far away. I know that they really need this time to get away from all the responsibilities of building their dream house, but I already miss them. I may not see them every single day, but I know I can if I want - now I want and can't! When my girls were small, I always felt good when they were tucked in their beds at night. If they were at a friends house or at their grandparents house for the night, it did not feel right that they were not in their beds close to me. Now, it does not seem right if they and their families are not at their own houses at night. With Anna and Zach off on mission trips, at night I would pray that the Lord would keep them safe and I pray that same prayer for bethanne and family these next ten days. Can't help it - wish it were time for them to come back!

2 comments:

Greg P. said...

I can certainly understand missing your kids even when they're grown.

My boys are grown and I miss the days of reading bedtime stories and watching them mimic every move I made when they were small.

But, you can take satisfaction in knowing that you did a great job of raising them.

Just think of how blessed you are, don't let anyone steal your joy!

Mommyluann said...

Hey..you can adopt me..my kids will make you wish we'd "go away" after a while! ha ha

I know you miss them.

sounds like a busy time for you!