CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

It's Been Awhile................

I can not believe that I have not blogged since July 3rd. Just to let the one or two who faithfully leave me comments, I am alive and well! It has been a busy two weeks. As I have said on more than one occasion, I am perfectly satisfied with my life being simple and, by most people's standards, boring. When I talk to my children and they tell me all the things they have done in one day, I am reminded of my former wife, Mother, and court clerk life. I miss the Mother part, but do not think I will ever want to go back into the work place full time. There may come a time when that is necessary, but I sure hope not.



The week of the 7th was our week to be campground host at Roan Mountain . It was a full week and a full campground most every night. We were again able to make some new friends and see some friends we had not seen since last year. My hubby and I have been camping at Roan Mountain since 1982. We started out with a six man tent when the children were small. What a job it was to pack everything up! We kept our camping "junk" in one place in the basement and then there was all the extras we had to take (water, etc) for six of us. It took me a week to assemble everything and then hubby would pack it in the truck and off we would go, bicycles and all. Wow! I look back now and see how much more energy I had then. The tent area is a beautiful place on the Doe River and hubby and I felt free to let the children ride their bikes and go the playground without worry, because the park is a safe enviroment - it was then and it is now. I hope that our children have good memories of those times that will stay with them forever.



One of the hardest jobs we face while working at the campground is early morning waiting line. This is the time that knowing the Lord Jesus really comes into use! People will line up when the gate opens (even before) to get THE camping spot that they want. The most sought after spots are on level ground when you first come into the campground and believe me, people will fight to get the one they like. Most people are willing to compromise, but there are a few who will stand firm (and I do mean firm). It is then that we are able to let them see that a soft answer turns away wrath. Kindness, a caring spirit, a smile, and most of all, love - the love that only comes from knowing Jesus. IT IS NOT EASY! Trust me! They say some very ugly things and they only want their way. They aren't interested in rules and procedures. They want their way and they want it now. I have to remember how like that I am at times. I want my way. I'm not interested in God's rules and procedures, and I'm not easy to deal with. It's at that point that the Holy Spirit's still small voice reminds me of God's everlasting patience with me and that He expects that same patience from me with others.



On the 8th, son Kenneth and grandaughter Courtney came home from Japan for a visit. It was so good to see them and Courtney has grown into a lovely young lady. It has been good to visit and spend time learning the Japanese culture. Lots of different ways and I mean different. I can not believe that he has been in the Navy 18 years. It seems that it was only yesterday that hubby, bethanne and I left him in Knoxville to go to basic training. He was so young (18), had never really been anywhere, and was about to embark on a life changing experience. I was scared for him, but by his own admission, it was the best thing that ever happened to him.





I have just learned that the daughter of one of my friends has drowned. She lived in the other end of the state and was found last night. This will be a devasting blow for my friend who has had many demons to fight in her life - divorce, alcoholism, poverty and also a questioning spirit. She has not been able to quit blaming God for the circumstances in her life. Her constant question to me has been "Why has God allowed these things to happen to me"? These past years I have tried to reassure her that God does not bring bad things purposely into our lives, but if we know Him, He will help us get through difficulties victoriously. She has never been able to grasp that thought. Please pray for her. She, I am afraid, will again ask why. Pray that through this tragedy she will come to know Him - really know Him and His peace and comfort.















O

5 comments:

BethAnne said...

I remember back when we would get rained on and have to mop up water with out clothes......we could even ride our bikes without calling med flight.......those were the good old days! hahahahahahaha Worn your shirt yet?

donnaj said...

As a matter of fact I did wear my Wings shirt. Last week working at the campground office. A lady saw it and asked me if I worked for Wings. I told her no but I had been priviledged to take a ride. She said her husband also took a ride from NC hospital to a Tn hospital and it cost them $14,000.00. I haven't worn my shirt since!

alliekat said...

The mopping up of water was a very memorable occasion but what I remember the most is the new self-contained camper that we got after a horrific rain storm almost washed us and the tent away! Never wet again!

Greg P. said...

Donna, I missed having your posts to read. You have a nice down-to-earth way of telling your story and keeping it interesting.

I'm very sorry for your friend and the terrible miseries she has experienced. Then to have this happen. Words just aren't enough to express the emptiness she must feel. She will be in my prayers. I pray the Lord will comfort her and give her understanding and peace.

So glad you're back!

Mommyluann said...

Good to see you posting. Sorry for your friend. That is really hard. I'll say a prayer.

Yeah, that's a hard way to get a "free" T-shirt...althought I use the term "free" loosely!