CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Important Lesson Learned!

Today I learned a very valuable lesson - do not put off your quiet time. God will speak to you in spite of procrastination! I could not seem to get going this morning. Remember in one of my other posts I said that one of the greatest gifts that the Lord had given me was the ability to sleep late since I retired? Well, He has been dealing with me on that, but that is a whole other post. This post is dedicated to me and how satan (he doesn't deserve a capital S) is so sly and works so cleverly that even when good is done, he can twist that good into sin.

It was a little late when I got up (don't ask) and as usual I still took the time to drink my coffee on the porch and glance at the newspaper. Ordinarily, I have my quiet time then, but because I indulged in one of the greatest gifts the Lord had given me in retirement (remember), I thought I had better get to making beds and other VERY important things. Hubby went outside to weed eat and mow. Now, before I go any further, let me tell you about our " below us" neighbor. We live on a mountain and a couple built a house last year on the lot just below us. My hubby is a very friendly person - always the good neighbor - better than me. He likes to chat and do things for neighbors that need to be done. I have known him to mow yards for vacationing neighbors, feed dogs, take care of gardens, get mail - you know - all the things that good neighbors do to help other good neighbors. Our " below us" neighbor is a little different. When they were building their house, hubby kept an eye out for vandals and people who like to help themselves to others property. Any time we would see them we would wave and speak. In the beginning I thought they, especially the man of the house, just missed our wave, but then I noticed that I could be at the mailbox and he would pass and whoops - he missed my wave again! How 'bout that? Enough said. Back to today. Hubby is outside mowing. I'm inside doing all the VERY important that kept me from having my quiet time in the am. Time passes and I think I better check on hubby. I haven't heard him in awhile and I always worry that something bad may have happened. I step out on the porch and call his name and he is downstairs in the basement. I go down and tell him I was beginning to be worried, and then he tells me he has been fixing "below us" neighbors mailbox! I could hardly believe my ears. What in the world was he thinking. Neighbor who will not lower himself to even wave, much less speak. My hubby did not have time for that. He even had to drill new holes to make the mailbox flag work. We had plenty to do here at our house, and beside that, he was going to his brothers house to mow for him! What in the world could he have been thinking! I asked him if "below us" neighbor thanked him. And this part is what amazed me - he didn't talk to neighbor. Neighbor wasn't even home.

Now, time passes. Hubby is on his way to his brothers and I am doing my thing of running the vacuum. Even with all the noise, Still Small Voice is loud and clear - very clear. "Donna, you have taken a good deed and you have smeared it all up with satan (no capital s). Forget what neighbor does or how he acts. Hubby did the right thing. His heart was in the right place. You were selfish and wrong. It could have been different if you had spent time with Me this morning. You need to take lessons from the head of your house. His act of kindness was exactly what the golden rule is all about. Do unto others........... Remember. If neighbor never knows who fixed his mailbox, it's okay because I know. That's all that matters."


I must say, I am very proud of hubby. The Lord was right. His heart was in the right place and mine was definitely in the wrong place. You can rest assured that my quiet time will come first in the morning. That does not mean that I will make all the right decisions because my time with the Lord was first, but I have no doubt my outlook on the day will be better.

6 comments:

Greg P. said...

Your husband sounds like a great guy and a great neighbor.

Amanda had a post yesterday and in it she mentioned that if you have a dispute with someone, even if you are in the right, you should offer an olive branch and make peace with that person.

It's even better when the neighbors don't know who helped them. God knows and that's all that matters.

Your husband taught a lot of people a lesson with his kind deed.

Greg P. said...

I was going to mention. I love that picture of the dog on your blog. Beagles are my favorite breed. I pretty sure that's a Beagle and not a Basset Hound, right?

LynnSC said...

So true... I can tell the difference in my attitude on the days that do not start with the Lord. AND... many times it is the sleep bug that gets me.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your sweet comment.

A good deed never goes unnoticed by God... something that I need to remember. Thanks
Lynn

Mommyluann said...

I tell you, that Jerry needs to be my adopted dad...sounds JUST like something my dad would do.

Go Jerry!

and Go Donna for recognizing how special he is for being that kind of man.

Never know how that might reach out to the "below you neighbors".

We had a "beside us" neighbor who was always grouchy and grumpy over everything but especially our cats. She was calling the police and all kinds of things when there were about 10 others cats besides ours in the "hood". Long story short I took her a basket and left her a card...an olive branch of sorts...my family ( David's) thought I had lost it....Not sure it really "helped" but I knew in my spirit it was the right thing to do. I think in hindsight she was a lonely , older soul who finds joy in griping and I found myself praying for her when my spirit really wanted to cry and just berate her for her unkindness. She passed away recently. No more cat sagas.....how brief those episodes were in light of eternity. I let it rule me for a long time instead of finding way to reach out to her.

Good post Donna...makes one think.

Greg P. said...

Donna, are you and your husband on vacation? I like reading your blog and what you have to say. I know life can be hectic even when you're retired. Maybe even more so when you're retired.

Looking forward to reading your next post.

{patty} said...

Donna, I always love to read your words of wisdom and am so thankful that you are willing to share! Honestly expect nothing less from you or Jerry, you are both thoughtful and kind people. Hope you are doing well, you looked great the other day in church!!!