CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What A Trip!

As some of you may know, the past week has been a real experience in my otherwise mundane life! There are so many things I want to post and share with you so I thought that I would take it slow and easy (which I am having to do a lot of these days). Maybe even post more than one day on the things I have learned, things I have ignored, people I have been impressed by, people that have meant more to me than I could ever express and, most importantly the things that my Abba God has shown me through all this . I started to tell in much detail the parts of the bicycle accident that I remember. In fact, I typed a couple of paragraphs and it dawned on me that no one would want to hear all the gory details of my stupidity (no helmet). Everything that happens to us is a learning experience, if we allow it to be, and if we can admit that we are able to learn no matter how old we are. As I was growing up an only child, my parents taught me to think for myself and that I could do anything. As I grew, they allowed me to do things for myself. That is great teaching if we don't take it too far. Sometimes there comes situations in our life when we have to depend on other people. It is a very humbling experience when you have to trade roles with your adult children. It has been my job for the last 40 some years to be the Mother and give the advice, admonish the warnings, take care of the sick, get the cold wash rag, hold the sick pan, and say "just rest". My daughters took over that role when I was in the hospital. I am not sure that I was ready for that switch, but it had to take place because I was helpless. I have no doubt they were worried, but each time they came in the door their goal was to help me get back to my old self - maybe even a better self! They selflessly took time away from their own families to stay with me - to meet my every need. My older grandchildren came and were of great support. It is always soooooooo good to hear them say "Memaw, I love you". The younger grandchildren called and made cards telling me they love me and to get better. My two sons-in-law endured several nights visiting in a "too" small room with their Mother-in-law and waiting to be sent out when I could not keep down two sips of ginger ale. They both know that I love them for their concern and patience. My husband, who is NOT a hospital person, has been the one to keep the home fires burning and has lovingly taken care of my two four-footed friends. Since I have been home from the hospital, again I have had to depend totally on someone else - my mate. I can't do anything until I ask and then I can't do it after I ask. I have been waited on hand and foot. I always wondered how it would feel to have someone cook every meal for you and do the washing and make the beds and bring you Popsicles. I can tell you that it feels nice, but I will be glad to be able to reverse the roles back. I like to do and now since I can not do, I want to do. Does that remind you of Paul - the things I want to do, I do not do, and the things I do not want to do, I do.

Something that has been difficult for me to get through my hard head (it really is hard) is that this body of mine is really quiet frail. I have always been well. I have never been in the hospital except to have my children. I have not ever been unable to go, but God truly is in control. Each day when I wanted to come home from the hospital, it was not in His plan. I needed to be there for my own good. At 61 learning new lessons is not easy!

I suppose that I have posted enough wisdom for one post, but be assured I have more to tell you. Since I have not been able to post in a week, I have a lot of catching up to do!


Delete

4 comments:

Greg P. said...

Donna, I'm glad you're doing better! You sound very upbeat about your ordeal and that's a good thing. Isn't it nice to know your family loves you and is there in time of need? You are truly blessed.

I'm glad you're back on your blog also. You were just getting going when this happened. I'm looking forward to reading what you have to say. Welcome back to blogland! We were all praying for you.

Mommyluann said...

You accident obviously didn't hurt your ability to write. What a great family you've been blessed with...Praise the Lord.

I'm glad you are well, my dear E-women buddy!

{patty} said...

I am so glad your home and not having to watch ladies softball! LOL

You are a rock lady and I am so glad God saw fit to keep you around here so you can inspire us with your wisdom and life lessons!!

I love ya and can't wait to see you again!!!!

BethAnne said...

Hey, you know it isnt a problem for Lisa and I to see throw up now that we have kids, right? Onceyou give birth all gag reflexes are turned off.

And you know we love you.