CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Control..........A Lesson Learned

I have always been a control freak. That's right - me -sweet, kind, passive (not) me. In the past week, control has been redefined to me. For many years I have on many occasions made this statement of wisdom "God Is In Control". Today on June 12, 2008 at 11:07 am I can honestly and truthfully say with great confidence that "God IS In Control".


Since I have had much down time in this past week, I have had much thinking time. As I went back over in my mind the events of my accident, the Lord began to show me that control is His area of expertise. My area of expertise is supposed to be submission. I am not to dabble in His area. That is not in His plan. If I learned nothing else from my "little" excursion it is that. You see, I wanted God to be in control of the big things like wars, famine, droughts, elections, tornadoes, oceans, rain and such, but I could very well handle things in my daily life, such as my husband, my children, my grandchildren and their life changing decisions - all the small things that God doesn't need to be bothered with. I can handle (control) the little things in my life.

I think that reality set in on me about the time I realized that I had no control over a bike that was speeding down a hill toward a wood pile and a campsite! A split second before I crashed into a steel grill I heard that still small voice remind me that "It's okay, I'm here, I'm in control". Just like that. Simple. Peace. Calm. From that point on I was very much aware that He was in control. It was Him that had John Williams, the campground host for the week, on the cart coming up the hill to our campsite. John immediately was able to go call 911. Had John not been there at that very time, my hubby would have had to leave me alone to go down the mountain to call. Control! It was Him that placed the rescue squad in Roan Mountain which caused them to be there in record time. Control! It was Him that caused Wings to be free at the very moment I needed them. Control! It was Him that placed me in the capable hands of a very knowledgeable trauma team at Johnson City Medical Center. Control! Control! Control! His Control - not my control.

Now, have I really learned a lesson about control? I pray so. This past week it seems that everyone else has been in control of me except me - Drs, nurses, daughters, husbands, monitors, needles and because I was not in control I am getting stronger and better. Imagine that! Sometimes God needs to shake us really good and let us know how helpless we can quickly become and through that helplessness who actually is in control. God is so good. I can see myself when I am 100% again lapsing back into the "control freak " mode, but because my God is patient and forgiving I can also see Him again saying "It's okay - I'm here - I'm in control".

So, today's lesson I have learned is control. Wow! Why had I not already learned that? Too hard headed I guess!

7 comments:

Kellie said...

I am so glad you are home. I would have come and seen you but I don't even know half the time what day it is. :) On top of that we are all sick. :( I'm so glad you are better I've thought of you so often and was praying you are well.

Mommyluann said...

Really good word Donna. I needed that. Maybe that's why we hit it off so well..we have that in common..we both want to be in control!

I pray we both learn lessons from your wreck.

I'm glad you mending ok and feeling like blogging again!

Amanda said...

I am so glad you are doing better!!! I prayed for you...I had no idea that you had a blog, too. I'll be checking you out more often. Thanks for the "okay" to eat bad on vacation. I just wish I didn't feel so guilty about it...but then again...it's a "control" thing for me. God has been trying to teach me this for years...I'm still a work in progress, but I am trying to be more "submissive" in all areas of my life Again, I am really glad that you are okay, DonnaJ

Greg P. said...

Donna, I think God was just trying to get your attention. Now that he has it, I think it will be all down hill from here...... uhhh, ...
...I mean smooth sailing from here.

alliekat said...

You have proven your hard headedness (is that a word?). You even have medical scans to prove it!

{patty} said...

Donna, I so needed that!! Thank you! I often feel the same way, that God needs to be concerned with the big things and not the piddly things in my life. I have a hard time asking him for help, just feel like my 'stuff' is so insignificant. God is already starting to use to teach other's about His love, mercy, grace and control. :)

Love ya bunches!!!!

BethAnne said...

I wish you had some control over my husband and could make him let me out of all this man's work!