CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Unbelievable.........

It's absolutely unbelievable that I would post two days in a row! Something MUST be wrong with me! Actually, I have no great people to quote today and no real words of wisdom to utter; I am just so thankful for my life and my situation. This morning in the paper there was no encouraging words to be had. All doom and gloom. A killer convicted, landslide in Yosemite, corrupt executives, a child abandoned at medical facilities, economy still not even starting to recover, candidates at one another's throats, loss of benefits for workers, loss of jobs - all of these are a sign of the times. My situation is so good compared to many. My hope is not in this world or in our leaders. My hope is in Jesus and the anticipation of seeing Him one day.


This morning in my bible study, which this week is on gentleness, some of the scripture was in Acts and some in John. The lesson title is Gentle Giants - about Paul and Peter. As I read scripture that I have read hundreds of time before, I began to question whether I exhibit any gentleness in my life. Gentleness - a life surrendered to real power (Beth Moore's definition). I had never thought about gentleness being submission. I think I had always coupled gentleness with timidity. So gentleness means not being stubborn or pig-headed - not fighting God's will in my life - a life surrendered to the Highest Power. For me, stubborn as I am, pig-headed as I am, that is a tall order. I am so glad that God never, ever gives up on us. That means there is still hope for me!


While reading scripture about Paul, the lesson had us list some of the ways Paul had suffered for Christ's sake - beatings, jail, angry mobs, exhaustion, hunger, sleeplessness, stoning, pain, cold, thirst. I have suffered nothing for Christ. I have, we all have, real cushy lives compared to the Saints of the Bible. They did not live in fear of what was coming, they lived in anticipation. They wanted to suffer for Christ. Paul said, and I am paraphrasing, his suffering meant he was a partner in Christ's suffering all the way to death itself. Wow! I don't have a clue what real suffering is! Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not into wanting to suffer, but what will Christ be able to thank me for when I stand before Him. Since we live in a different time and age, I suppose the up-side-down crucifixion, stoning, and beatings don't apply, but the anticipation
of what is coming does. We never know when circumstances in our lives are going to change and we may be required to take a stand. If the wrong people (liberals) get elected to high positions, we may, as Christians, find ourselves persecuted even to the point Paul and Peter were for their beliefs. Will I meet the test? Will we as Christ's body meet the test? I pray that I will. I pray that we will. I pray that in our weakness we would find strength to be a partner in Christ's suffering all the way to death itself like Paul.


This may seem as though I am doom and gloom like the newspaper today, but the good news is that no matter how bad things seem or even get - we who know Christ and have Him living in us are going to be okay - in fact - better than okay. Nothing can destroy us. No one can destroy us. We have the hope of eternity in heaven with Jesus. We have anticipation of worshipping at His feet forever and I can't wait! Come quickly Lord Jesus!

4 comments:

Greg P. said...

AMEN!

We don't live for this world! We are IN the world, but, not OF the world.

We are citizens of heaven and getting very homesick!

Mommyluann said...

Amen!

BethAnne said...

Again....Amen!

Eddie said...

I was just thinking about your Dad. Being a staunch Democrat, How would he be voting this year? Great post! I vote for heaven, how about you.