CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Scriptural Answers To The "Whys" In Our Lives

I know ..... it's been awhile. I could use the excuse that I have been away which I was last week. I could use the excuse that I have been really busy and I have - but not that busy. I could use the excuse that I have not been motivated and probably that excuse is the best one of all. Do you ever get in the mode of simply not knowing or wanting to blog? Some of us are not given to great randomness like bethanne, and when I don't know what to write, I don't write!

Last month an article was sent to me by email. I read it and copied it because I really didn't have my mind fully on it at the time. I thought I would come back to it and study it a little more and search out the scripture references when I was a little more with it! I laid it on my desk and this week I found it again. As I have studied it more the past couple of days, I realized how true the article is and how I needed to read this and keep it near for future reading. I want to share this with you. It may be a little lengthy, but maybe it will be thoughts that you need in your life at this particular time - much like I did at the time I refound (not sure that is a real word) it.

Scripture References:
Romans 8:17
2 Corinthians 12:9
1 Peter 4:12-13
Job 16
Romans 5:3-4
John 14:31
Colossians 1:24
Isaiah 45:9-11
Author: Elisabeth Elliot
Source: Keep A Quiet Heart

Ever Been Bitter?
Sometimes I've said, "O Lord, you wouldn't do this to me, would you? How could you, Lord?" I can recall such times later on and realize that my perspective was skewed. One scripture passage which helps me rectify it is Isaiah 45:9-11 (NEB): "Will the pot contend with the potter, or the earthenware with the hand that shapes it? Will the clay ask the potter what he is making? .... Thus says the Lord, would you dare question me concerning my children, or instruct me in my handiwork? I alone, I made the earth and created man upon it." He knows exactly what He is doing. I am the clay.
The word "humble" comes for the root word "humus, earth, clay." Let me remember that when I question God's dealings. I don't understand Him, but then I'M NOT ASKED TO UNDERSTAND, ONLY TO TRUST.
Bitterness dissolves when I remember the kind of love with which He has loved me--He gave Himself for me. He gave Himself for me. He gave Himself for me. He gave Himself for me. Whatever He is doing now, therefore, is NOT cause for bitterness. It has to be designed for good, because He loved me and gave Himself for me.
Is it a sin to ask God why?
It is always best to go first for answers to Jesus Himself. He cried out on the cross, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?" It was a human cry, a cry of desperation, springing from His heart's agony at the prospect of being put into the hands of wicked men and actually becoming sin for you and me. We can never suffer anything like that, yet we at times feel forsaken and cry, Why, Lord?
The psalmist asked why. Job, a blameless man, suffering horrible torments on an ash heap, asked why. It does not seem to me to be sinful to ask the question.
What IS sinful is resentment against God and His dealings with us.
When we begin to doubt His love and imagine that He is cheating us of something we have a right to, we are guilty as Adam and Eve were guilty. They took the snake at his word rather than God. The same snake comes to us repeatedly with the same suggestions: Does God love you? Does He really want the best for you? Is His word trustworthy? Isn't He cheating you? Forget His promises. You'd be better off if you do it your way. Etc.
I have often asked why. Many things have happened which I didn't plan on and which human rationality could not explain. In the darkness of my perplexity and sorrow I have heard Him say quietly, Trust Me.
He knew that my question was not the challenge of unbelief or resentment. I have never doubted that He loves me, but I have sometimes felt like St. Teresa of Avila who, when she was dumped out of a carriage into a ditch said, "If this is the way You treat your friends, no wonder You have so few!" :-)
Job was not, it seems to me, a very patient man. But he never gave up his conviction that he was in God's hands. God was big enough to take whatever Job dished out (see Job 16 for a sample). Do not be afraid to tell Him exactly how you feel. (He already read your thoughts anyway). Don't tell the whole world. God can take it--others can't. (AMEN!!!)
Then listen for His answer. Six scriptural answers to the question WHY come from the scriptures listed above. There is mystery, but it is not all mystery. Here are clear reasons.
I hope that the above article spoke to someone's heart. I have been a fan of Elisabeth Elliott for many years and knowing the things that she has been through in her life make this article even more dear to me. As the person who sent this to me said, "if you have not been to this point in your life, you will. Save it. If you are there, this will encourage you".

2 comments:

Eddie said...

Wish you and I could be as fortunate to have as many readers as does the LPM blog. She had 207 responses to her blog. Good thought and much to learn from your blog.

Greg P. said...

I really liked this message. It is thought provoking. I love reading the Book of Job also. It always puts my problems in perspective.

Don't feel compelled to post if you don't want to. It certainly isn't a competition. This is supposed to be therapeutic and a way to relax.

I got a kick out of your comment on my blog about your typos. You said were angry and that makes you type faster. I can relate. At times, I want to get my message out so fast, because I'm angered about my subject, that when I'm done it looks like a foreign language!