CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 12, 2008

It's Time...............

Herman & June Henson at Herman's Retirement Party On September 10. 2008.

I know! It's time I settled down and blogged a little. Last week I had a good excuse - working at the park. This week - no excuse except that catching up is hard to get done! We did not come home from the campground until Monday afternoon. It is very relaxing to sleep late after getting up early for seven days and sitting in your pj's and drink coffee. Last week was the most peaceful week we have spent this summer so far. The days were warm and the nights crisp. We had to run our heater almost every night (in the high 40's) b1ut it warmed up to the mid 70's during the day. Fall is definately in the air! My time of year!



On Wednesday of this week we went back to the park for a retirement lunch for Herman Henson. Hermon retired after 26 years of faithful service to the State of Tennessee. His main job was to collect the garbage in each campsite, at the picnic shelters, at the conference center, at the office, and anywhere along the way. Over the past four years working in the campground office, I have learned alot about dedication and responsibility from Hermon. I also learned that a conversation between friends did not necessarily have to be said with alot of words or any words at all. Herman does not get in a hurry nor does he waste words. In fact, Herman is a man of few words, but when he does talk, what he says means something. One morning when he came by the office, I told him good morning and asked him how he was. Maybe, two minutes passed and he told me he was just tickled to death to be here. Then two more minutes passed and he told me that when he stepped out on his porch that morning, he looked up in the sky and it looked like a morning that the Lord might come back and that he was ready! He finished that statement with a big smile. Herman witnessed that morning to me and anyone else that was standing or sitting on the office porch. I've had many conversations with Herman like that. Short and sweet - very sweet. Any time we can testify for the Lord it is sweet and the Lord honors that. I believe that Herman honored the Lord every day in his work and because of his dedication, the Lord has honored Herman. Never have I seen Herman that he did not take pride in his job. He never broke the speed limit, never missed a trash can, never failed to tie a knot in the trash bag, never failed to fit the lid on the can securely, and always took pride in what he did - to the point of cleaning up trash when people missed the can or the racoons had gotten in the cans at night. Herman does not have a Phd, is not wealthy, does not drive a BMW, doesn't know how to blog and probably is not known outside of Roan Mountain, Tennessee, but he is a man of honor and conviction and most importantly he knows the Lord and is waiting for His return. I am going to miss Herman. One day last week he came back and sat on the porch with me. He didn't say much and neither did I. We just hung out and rocked awhile. He didn't stay long - but long enough to let me know that old habits are hard to break and coming to the park was a part of his life for 26 years.

3 comments:

Greg P. said...

It's makes no difference what type of work you do in life. As long as you do it with honor and in service to the Lord, then you are a success.

I pray that Herman has a wonderful retirement.

Glad to see you back Donna.

BethAnne said...

I wonder if Herman would come and give my family lessons on tying up the garbage bags???

alliekat said...

Or how about giving lessons on enjoying taking the garbage out! That doesn't seem like something that anyone in this house(including myself) enjoys that task.